Children Accident Claims

Guide To Pursuing A Child Accident Claim

There is a certain category of people that are unable to bring a claim in the court without having representation. This group of people are known as persons under a disability and include children (i.e. those under the age of 18) and other protected parties (i.e. those of an unsound mind).

If a child is injured in an accident and they wish, or somebody acting on their behalf wishes, to bring a claim for compensation the child must be represented by a ‘Litigation Friend’, i.e. somebody of sound mind and over the age of 18 who can conduct the legal proceedings for them. A Litigation Friend is usually somebody with a close relationship to the child. i.e. a parent or guardian or other family member or close friend.

Usually in personal injury cases a Claimant has three years from the date of the accident in which to make a claim. If they have not settled their claim or issued court proceedings within this time their claim will become statute barred – i.e. they will be prevented by law from bringing a claim. However, in the case of accidents involving children the rules are slightly different. The three year time period does not start running until the child reaches maturity, i.e. on their 18th birthday. This means they have until their 21st birthday in which to make a claim for compensation for their injuries.

There are two choices available to a child – or parents/guardian of an injured child - wishing to make a claim for personal injury compensation. The child may either bring the claim as soon as possible after the accident has occurred under the representation of a Litigation Friend or, alternatively, the parents or guardian of the injured child may decide to wait until the child reaches the age of 18 so that they can make their own mind up about whether to make a claim for their injuries. It is generally thought that making a claim as soon as possible after an accident is the best cause of action as the evidence is still fresh and any scarring etc is still visible.

If the personal injury claim is settled before the child reaches the age of 18 the case will need to be put before a Judge at an Infant Settlement Hearing so that the judge can consider, and hopefully approve, the settlement. The hearing is informal and the child will appear with their Litigation Friend and may be asked some questions about how their injuries are progressing and whether they have made a full recovery. Although the majority of the compensation will be placed in the court fund until the child reaches the age of 18 it will be possible to request that a proportion of the money is released to the Litigation Friend immediately to invest in, for example, something of educational benefit to the child, such as a computer.

Make A Quick Enquiry

Why not make a free enquiry now by contacting us in one of the following ways to find out if and how much you can claim (no cost and no obligation to proceed, we are here to help):-

  1. Call us free on 0800 142 2775 between the hours of 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 8am to 5.30pm on Sunday; or
  2. Provide us with some details and one of The Legal Oracle solicitors will be in touch with you – make a Quick Enquiry now.


Why Spend Time Trying to Find the Right Solicitor when We Have Already Done It for You?

How do you know which solicitor will provide you with the best service? While you can assume that solicitors have a basic level of legal knowledge, how can you be confident that they really are the right solicitor for you?

The Legal Oracle take the worry out of the search. We have done the pre-approval for you, ensuring that The Legal Oracle solicitors provide highly efficient, specialist expertise, complete competence and a friendly and helpful service. Call us free now on 0800 142 2775.

UK Coverage

We have specialist Solicitors across England, Wales and Scotland ready and waiting to help you.